It’s New Years Eve, which means it’s time for a recap of what happened in 2011 and a look forward at 2012. 2011 was a pretty big year for me. We decided it was time to leave Asheville and head back to the Delta, which meant new jobs, new apartment, and lots of stress and travel. As happy as I was to come back to the area where the majority of our friends and all of our family live, it was hard to leave Asheville, which is a beautiful, vibrant city, and a job I’d grown so comfortable in. But we did it! And we’re here, in Memphis, and I must say I love it so far. Seeing the sunset over the Mississippi River and being able to literally see Arkansas from where I live is amazing. There’s so much good food and music, and walking out of work downtown every evening to the scent of Memphis barbecue wafting through the air is a delight. Plus, so many of our friends are here. Jeremy’s already playing shows with Come Sundown, something that rarely happened when we were hours away, and I’ve seen my best friends more since we’ve been here than I did the entire time I lived in North Carolina. And being only an hour and a half away from my mom and nine year old brother is amazing. I’m so happy to be back.
In 2011 I went to the beach. I (barely) started a screenplay for a horror movie I’ve been wanting to write. I had surprise visits from friends and took multiple road trips. I saw amazing bands and pulled all-nighters that I thought I was too old for during Gonerfest. I got a new job. I got a new apartment. I started fresh with my finances and am slowly working my way out of debt. I helped one of my best friends with her first feature length movie, 45 RPM, something I’m very proud to have been a part of. I learned new photography techniques, I hand developed film, I took pottery classes, I wrote articles about musicians I love. I ate at new restaurants, baked new recipes, played a melodica, and had movie marathons with friends. I got on stage with King Khan and Bloodshot Bill, saw Wild Flag swing from the rafters at the Grey Eagle, and watched Neil Hamburger kick people out of the Admiral. It’s hard to think of anything that happened this year besides the big stuff, but when I really try it’s all there, and I did a lot. Some photos from 2011:
For 2012 I have a list of things I’d like to do:
- Finish my horror movie screenplay. I downloaded some software and started on it. I just need to power through.
- Start jogging. I want to lose at least two pounds a month this year. I know that’s a small amount, but hopefully that’ll keep me motivated.
- Take an unplanned road trip. Obviously it’ll have to be partially planned because I have two dogs, but other than that, just go and see where I end up.
- I might try to do a 365 photo project again. I failed last time but think I was trying too narrow of a focus, and I also think starting on day 1 of the year will help.
- Read more, think more, write more, do more. I want more of all of those things.
I have a nasty cold, so I’m not sure where I’ll be celebrating the New Year, but I know where ever we go we’ll be surrounded by friends that we love! Happy New Year! We’re gonna tear 2012 up, y’all.